It is incredibly important for you to keep your septic system well-maintained. Follow these tips on what to do and what to avoid doing when you have a septic system for waste management for your home or business.
5 Septic System DOS
- Schedule a routine pump-out every two to three years, depending on family size
- Immediately fix drippy faucets or running toilets to avoid overloading the septic tank
- Use only high-quality toilet tissue that breaks up easily when wet
- Use liquid laundry detergent as powdered laundry detergents use clay that can buildup in the tank
- Minimize the amount of household cleaners (bleach, harsh cleansers) and similar toxic substances
5 Septic System DON’TS
- Do not put non-biodegradable material (coffee grounds, cigarettes, baby wipes, bandages, Q-Tips, etc) into the drain
- Septic tank additives are not necessary and not recommended
- Stop using antibacterial soaps as they disrupt the bacterial environment in your septic system
- Never dump grease down the drain; grease can build up in the septic tank and plug the pipes
- Avoid garbage disposals as much as possible; instead, compost kitchen waste
A septic system that is not adequately maintained can fail and cause expensive damage. Be kind to your septic system by following these rules. If you have questions about septic services or you need to schedule an appointment, please give us a call at (951) 780-5922 right away. We have professionals ready to answer your questions and get your system working properly again.